Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sweet potato face

"Hey there!"

Here are a few pictures from our 4th of July celebration (held on July 5). We ate dinner outside and set off some fireworks. Gloria really liked looking at the pretty colors, until they started popping. We didn't know that they were going to be loud. But, as soon as she started crying, the sound stopped and she was fine. I held her ears for the remaining noisy ones.

Gloria and (newly engaged) Auntie April


Trying to get the sparklers going


The man in charge of the fire(works)


"What's going on? Dinner outside and pretty fireworks!"


We did introduce sweet potatoes to Gloria last Thursday (the 17th). She enjoyed them thoroughly. We've given them to her many times since, and each time she eats them with as much enthusiasm as she did originally.

"Yum yum!"


"Will someone please clean my face off?"

The next day, the 18th, I made another batch of peach babyfood. Gloria is starting to tolerate bites of just peach, but enjoys them much better if they are mixed into her avocado. The peaches I used for this batch were so ripe and juicy that Rob and I couldn't stop eating slices of them. We wanted to see what Gloria would do with a slice of fresh peach, so we put one into her mesh feeder and let her go at it. She decided that it was delicious! She sucked on it and gnawed on it until all that was left was the pulp. Rob was holding her while she was eating the peach and they both got covered in peach juice.

"Hi. Just eatin' a peach."


"Gotta get out the last few drops of juice."

Since Gloria had enjoyed that slice of peach so well, I decided to freeze a few slices. Yesterday I put her in her highchair and gave her a frozen slice of peach in the mesh feeder. It took a minute for her to figure it out, but once she did she went wild. One minute there was a whole peach slice in the feeder, the next it was just a bit of pulp. As we continue to introduce other fruits, we'll make sure to offer her some fresh pieces and some frozen ones.

Gloria is really into reading books. She loves looking at the ones that have pictures of babies as well as the ladybug book that caught her attention when she was just a few months old. Rob used to walk her into our library where the ladybug book was sitting on the shelf. She always would turn her head to look at it when they were in there.

"I love reading books!"

No comments: